Study Abroad Insurance for International Students

Student Insurance and Student Travel Insurance

The health and safety of your child during his/her study abroad experience will depend on the choices and precautions taken prior to, during, and following his/her time overseas. However, there are no guarantees or absolutes with regard to health and safety in any setting, especially an international one. Before your child’s departure, make sure that he/she is in good health, has received any immunizations that are required and has learned as much as possible about the health and safety conditions in the host country.

Many study abroad programs sponsors will require the submission of medical forms about your child’s physical and mental health. He/she will also be asked to show proof of health and accident insurance or he/she may be asked to purchase a special policy that covers these areas overseas. Purchasing travel insurance can be an inexpensive way to protect yourself and your children in case of an emergency.

Read also; how-to-apply-for-admission-to-study-in-universities-abroad/

Why Do You Need Travel Insurance?

During your child’s trip, he/she may need to see a doctor, have a prescription filled, receive care at a hospital, or deal with an unexpected medical emergency. Remember:

Some health plans don’t cover illnesses or injuries incurred outside the United States, or away from your hometown. Some plans will cover such expenses, but at a reduced rate.
Most health plans do not cover medical evacuation, which can cost $25,000 or more.
The Sickness, Accident and Medical Evacuation benefits provided by a travel or student insurance company can help protect you against these unforeseeable costs. In addition, some insurance companies provide services with their plans that include round-the-clock support during unexpected emergency situations.

Read also; /50-frequent-job-interview-questions-and-possible-answers/

Below is a summary of what is covered under typical Travel Medical Plan
  • Designed for leisure or business travelers
  • Cover single trips, or all the trips you take in a year
  • Fill the gaps in your health coverage when you leave home
  • Include Medical Insurance for travel up to 6 months in duration
  • Also provide coverage for Emergency Evacuation, 24 Hour Assistance, Prescription Drug, Dental, and more 
  • Available in most states

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *