Find out admission requirements, list of top universities in Hungary, student visa, tuition fees etc.
Hungary is a country located in central Europe with a population of 9.8 million people. Its capital, Budapest, is bisected by the Danube River. Its cityscape is studded with architectural landmarks from Buda’s medieval Castle Hill and grand neoclassical buildings along Pest’s Andrássy Avenue to the 19th-century Chain Bridge. The standard of education in Hungary is high, the tuition fees one of the lowest in Europe. In today’s article, we shall be considering studyin in Hungary, tuition fees, cost of living, admission requirements etc.
The tuition fee in Hungarian universities is quite low and affordable. These fees vary from school to school. Students under the “State-funded” scheme are not allowed to pay tuition fees. non-EU or international students have to pay a tuition fee of approximately 2000 Euro per year.
Cost of living
The cost of living in Hungary for students is put at 450 Euro to 500 Euro per month. This amount will cover the cost of feeding, accommodation, transportation, books etc. Here’s the breakdown:
- rent of a small flat in Budapest (per month): from 70.000 HUF (220 EUR) + utilities (200-230 EUR)
- rent of a room in Budapest (per month): from 60.000 HUF (190 EUR) + utilities
- rent of a small flat in countryside (per month): from 50.000 HUF (155 EUR) + utilities
- rent of a room in countryside (per month): from 20.000 HUF (60 EUR) + utilities
- local transport in Budapest:
- Monthly Budapest-pass: 9.500 HUF ( 30 EUR)
- Monthly Budapest-pass for students: 3.450 HUF (12 EUR)
- Singel ticket: 350 HUF
- local transport in countryside:
- Monthly pass: from 6.500 HUF
- Monthly pass for students: from 3.300 HUF
- Single ticket: from 300 HUF
- 1 loaf of bread: 270 HUF (1 EUR; 1.5 USD)
- 1 bottle of beer: 250 HUF (1 EUR; 1.4 USD)
- 1 bottle of wine: from 1.000 HUF (3.5 EUR; 3.5 USD)
- 1 liter of milk: 220 HUF (1 EUR; 1.4 USD)
- eating out: 1.500-2.500 HUF (5-8 EUR; 6-12 USD)
- daily menu: 890-1.500 HUF
- cinema ticket: 1.090-1.670HUF (4 EUR; 5.5 USD); Digital 3D 1.600-2.100HUF
In order to apply for a bachelors program in Hungary, applicants must be in possession of a high school/secondary school certificate or diploma showing that he/she qualifies for a university education.
For a master degree, a good bachelor degree result is usually required. A transcript showing grades, CV, reference letters, and a motivation letter will be needed by the universities for admission.
Read also; /study-in-cyprus/
List of Top Universities in Hungary
- University of Sopron
- University of Pecs
- University of West Hungary
- Technical University of Budapest
- Szeged University
- University of Veterinary Science
- Debrecen University of Agricultural Sciences
- International Business School – Budapest
- Budapest University of Economic Sciences
- Hungarian University of Physical Education