Find out how to study abroad in Austria; I have reviewed information about student visa application, cheap tuition universities, available scholarships & grants, cost of living, free tuition universities in Austria etc.
Austria’s location in Central Europe has provided it with a rich history in art, culture, literature, and philosophy. Quoted as being one of the “best cities” it is considered a cultural capital; home to 9 UNESCO World Heritage Sites which include Salzburg’s Historic Center, Vienna’s Historic Center, and the Palace and Gardens of Schönbrunn.
Sharing a border with eight different countries, Austria has been a significant junction for many economic and cultural regions which is reflected in the distinct flavors each state has to offer with Hungarian, Czezh, Jewish , and Italian influences.
With the musical capital of the world, Vienna, as its capital Austria is the perfect destination for those who want to walk the streets of legendary composers such as Beethoven, Schubert, Mozart, and of great minds such as Freud. Although acclaimed for its musical and architectural history it has something to offer for all international students in Austria.
Cost of living in Austria
The monthly living cost in Austria is estimated at €700 to €800 to cover the cost of accommodation, food, travels etc.
University Tuition Fees in Austrian Universities
Within Austria, you can enrol in public or private universities, colleges and universities of applied sciences.
Tuition Fees in Public Universities
- For EU-students: free of charge. Just have to pay student union and student insurance of 18 EUR/semester.
- For non-EU students: 1450 EUR/year
The University of Vienna charges tuition fees for certain study programmes at postgraduate level (Master and PhD courses), such as law or international relations, to all foreign students, regardless of their nationality.
Universities of Applied Sciences independently decide if they charge tuition fees. Currently, 17 of the 20 UAS require EU students to pay a tuition fee of around 363 EUR per semester. The fee for the student union and insurance applies as well.
Tuition Fees in Private Universities
Private universities have their own tuition fees, which start from 1,000 EUR per year and can lead up to around 40,000 EUR/year.
Free Universities in Austria
Here are examples of free-tuition universities in Austria for EU/EEA students;
- WU (Vienna University of Economics and Business);
- Johannes Kepler University Linz;
- University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria;
- FH Joanneum University of Applied Sciences.
- Tuition fees at top-ranked universities
Here is a list of average tuition fees for international students at the top-ranked Austrian Universities;
- University of Vienna – average tuition fees between 1,500 and 11,000 EUR/year
- Vienna University of Technology –tuition fees of 1,500 EUR/year
- University of Innsbruck – average tuition fees 1,450 EUR/year
- Graz University of Technology – tuition fees of 1,450 EUR/year
Scholarships and Funding Options for International Students in Austria
International students in Austria can benefit from various study grants and scholarships offered by Austrian organisations or universities.
- The Federal Aid for Students offers study grants for certain areas of study or study allowances. The value of the grants offered is between 475 and 679 EUR/month.
- Other scholarships are offered by the Scholarship Foundation of the Republic of Austria; the Austrian government provides a monthly scholarship instalment of 940 EUR or sometimes covers the accommodation costs – only for students who live in residence halls.
For Student Visa Application, please read also /study-in-europe-student-visa-application-procedure-with-possible-interview-questions-and-answers/
List of Cheap Tuition Universities in Austria
- University of Vienna
- University of Salzburg
- Management Center, Innsbruck
- University of Graz
- University of Innsbruck
- University of Klagenfurt
- University of Linz
- Webster University, Vienna
- Vienna International Fine art Academy
- Wels college of Engineering
- Salzburg College
- IMADEC University