SA Writers College South Africa
Study at your own pace, from anywhere you want. Whether you want to get published, work in the writing industry, or write for your own pleasure, they can help you get there. Choose from various specialised accredited online writing courses, and receive one-to-one mentoring by award-winning writers.
In 2004, journalists Nichola Meyer and Lisa Lazarus co-designed the Magazine Journalism Short Course, and taught at Boston Language College and CityVarsity in Cape Town.
Read also; /online-degree-scholarships/
The Magazine Journalism Course proved to be so popular that Lisa suggested training on a national level – by taking the course online. So in 2005, Nichola launched SA Writers College.
The college now trains more than four hundred students each year. Since its inception in 2005, 35 new writing courses were added to the curriculum.
The hallmark of SA Writers College Courses is that the courses offer real training by real writers. The tutors know what writing will sell, and what won’t. The courses are practical, current and to the point. Each course answers all the questions an aspirant writer will need to write in a specific field, and teaches students to write high quality copy in the correct style for their genre.
SA Writers College Online Courses
Here is the range of SA Writers College writing courses they have on offer. Go through their online writing courses and feel free to contact them with questions; they can assist and advise you regarding the best writing course for you.
Read also; /study-in-south-africa-with-tuition-fees-list-of-low-tuition-universities-living-costs-and-student-visa-and-exchange-programs/
- Basics of Feature Writing – R 4495.00; The Basics of Feature Writing Course introduces you to the structure and format of feature articles, and teaches you how to write readable articles for print and web publications.
- Writing Articles for Websites & Blogs – R 4495.00 ; Whether you want to earn an income from writing web articles, or you want to write content for your blog, or your job entails writing content for digital media – we will teach you the skills to write articles that will stand out among the millions on the web.
- Magazine Journalism – R 6295.00; Everything you need to write articles for magazines – plus the chance to get published! Expert tutorage by well-known South African journalists, including Tracey Hawthorne, Tamara Rothbart, Hayley Leibowitz and Lisa Lazarus.
- Advanced Magazine Journalism – R 6495.00; This exciting journalism course offers you the chance to write three publishable articles for magazines. With specialist supervision from well-known journalists.
- Travel Writing – R 6295.00; Learn how to write travel articles for leading local and international publications, and write a publishable travel piece. Under the tutelage of the multi-award winning travel writers Julienne du Toit and Chris Marais.
- Basics of Creative Writing – R 4795.00; A beginner writer’s toolkit. Master the basic writing skills required for all forms of creative writing. Practice your writing in dozens of fun exercises in this four-month online course, under the guidance of award-winning writer Helen Brain.
- Advanced Creative Writing – R 5495.00; A continuation course that explores more advanced techniques of creative writing.
- Short Story Writing for Magazines – R 5995.00; Award-winning writer, Ginny Swart, has over 450 published short stories to her name. Under her tutelage, you’ll get all the writing skills training you need to write and sell your short stories to magazines, both locally and internationally.
- Literary Short and Flash Fiction – R 5995.00; Have you always loved writing stories, and wish you could become a published writer? In this course, we teach you all the writing tools you need to write short stories, and share some tips to help you get them published in literary print and online journals.
- Literêre Kort- en Kitsfiksie-Kursus – R 5995.00; This course is the same at our Literary Short and Flash Fiction course but assignments would be submitted in Afrikaans. Critique will be given in Afrikaans. Tutored by Maya Fowler.
- Advanced Short Story Writing – R 7295.00; Do you love writing short stories, and wonder what the next step is for further developing your craft?
- Write a Novel – R 6995.00; With one-on-one training by the acclaimed Alex Smith, Fiona Ingram, Andrew Salomon and Maya Fowler, this course is perfect for aspiring novelists. Learn about the writing life, start writing your novel and find out how to get it published.
- Advanced Novel Writing – R 8295.00; This course provides all the support and structure for the completion of your novel, with one-on-one guidance from award-winning tutors.
- Introduction to Poetry – R 3995.00; Let award-winning poet Fiona Zerbst guide you through this online poetry course, teaching you the basic tools of poetry. The writing course covers line length, figures of speech, metered verse, tone, imagery and lyrics.
- Scriptwriting – R 5195.00; Write and sell your own stage play, radio play or movie script. Tutored by multi-award-winning playwright and author, Karen Jeynes, this course will guide you from your big idea to the sellable finished product.
- Write a Children’s Book – Part 1 – R 5295.00; Award-winning author, Helen Brain, has published over 50 books for children. Her course will teach you how to write for this demanding audience, and help you sell your completed manuscript.
- Write a Children’s Book – Part 2 – R 5295.00; This follow-on course from Writing Books for Children (Part One) will provide the tools and support you need to complete your chapter book for 8-to12-year-olds.
- Coaching the Writer Within – R 4495.00; On this course you get to connect with a personal coach – a real person who understands something of what you are experiencing as a writer, and who can give you validation, a sense of companionship, and a friendly challenge to open up more of your capabilities.
- Write Your Memoir – R 5495.00; Start writing your memoir with line by line mentoring by memoirist Lisa Lazarus. Learn the tools used by published memoir writers to get your story completed.
- Writing for Video Games – R 8995.00; This 10-module online course will teach you how to write the dialogues, concept documents, in-game text, and the host of other narrative assets that you’ll find in video games.
Business and General
- Writing Coach Course – R 5495.00; Give your writing a makeover with this customised writing course. Learn to use words with flair and confidence, under the guidance of professional wordsmith Susan Williams.
- Business Writing Toolkit – R 4495.00; Learn the most important business writing skills you need. This seven module course will make a difference to your written communication skills and boost your writing confidence.
- Grammar Skills (English 2nd Language) – R 4995.00; Brush up your grammar skills in this rigorous training course. Perfect for students, entry-level employees and anyone who has English as a second language.
- Grammar for Writers (English 1st Language) – R 5495.00; Comprehensive, challenging and practical, the courses aim to untangle the rules so you can identify and eliminate writing errors you may have been making for years.
- Mastering Punctuation – R 3795.00; The course provides definitive instruction around the use of commas, quotation marks, colons and other important punctuation required for crafting good writing.
- Write Better Newsletters – R 3795.00; Learn to write enjoyable, informative news articles for the workplace. Let us help you come up with great topics, effective research and well written articles ready for submission.
- Write Better Letters – R 1995.00; Learn to write perfect letters for the workplace.
Read also; /free-online-courses-university-of-cape-town/
- Copy-Editing and Proofreading – R 4495.00; This five-month course will teach the basic skills of proofreading, and covers the basic grammar and punctuation rules of English, so that language practitioners can make informed, consistent and confident decisions in their copy-editing.
- Writing for the Web – R 5495.00; A general course in which you’ll learn proven principles of web writing, and how to help online visitors find the information they want, navigate your site and stay on your site.
- Writing for Social Media – R 4495.00; This Course is for anyone who wants to create effective content for blogs, Facebook, Twitter and other social media.
- Writing a blog that will get read – R 3795.00; This course will teach you about writing blog posts that are findable. It is about using keywords, images and tags that are appropriate to your blog; it is about encouraging you to write great, original content – but most of all, it is about teaching you to write a blog that will get read.
- Writing SEO Copy for Websites – R 5995.00; Learn how to write powerful copy for the static pages of a website. From the Home page, the About Us page all the way through to FAQs and the Contact Us page. Study with a professional writer, and find out how to make the most impact with your words.
- Press Release and Media Writing – R 4995.00; Learn the writing skills demanded by the challenging and burgeoning field of public relations, and write a sellable press release. Tutored by international PR expert Fiona Walsh.
- Copywriting – R 5995.00; Learn how to create effective advertising ideas and develop your skills as a writer to communicate them in a relevant, rewarding and unexpected way. This eight-module course is facilitated by professional copywriter Mandy Speechly.
- Coaching the Writer Within – R 4495.00; This 7-month coaching course is all about unlocking your full creative potential as a writer.
- Self-publish Your e-Book – R 4995.00; Learn how to publish an e-book and sell it to a worldwide market on Amazon in this 12-month online course.