Like in most countries of the world, coming to New Zealand as a foreign student would require you to apply for a student visa. There are different classes of students visas each depending on how long you intend to stay in the country as a student.
New Zealand is known around the world for the high educational standards of the universities and colleges. This country of around 5 million inhabitants offers opportunities for international students to further their education.
It is a testament to the quality of education in New Zealand that reputable companies around the world rate graduates from the country highly. As a small country made of two islands, it is easy for an international student to feel at home in New Zealand.
Getting a New Zealand Study Visa for Full-time studies
The visa for this category presupposes that you are going to stay in New Zealand as a full-time student for at least 3 years. Because if your course is for just 3 months or less, a normal visitor visa is all that is required
- You must have gotten admission from the college or university of your choice
- You must show evidence you have enough money to pay tuition.
- You must have enough money to fund your stay for the duration of the course
- A letter of guarantee from your institution of choice that you already have suitable accommodation. Or a letter from a guardian guaranteeing suitable accommodation for you (However, this only applies if you are less than 18 years of age)
Read also; /how-to-apply-for-a-student-visa-to-study-abroad/
2. What this Visa Entitles you to
- You can study full-time for up to 4 years in any tertiary institution.
- You can work part-time for up to 20 hours when school is in session and full-time during the holiday
- You are entitled to live in a rented accommodation outside the campus
This visa can be renewed if after four years you are yet to finish your course or you can apply for a work visa when it expires.
- You must he screened for medical conditions like tuberculosis
- You must produce a police certificate to show you are of good character.
Note that there are no set periods for applying for the visa. It can be done at any time of the year.
Documents needed for Student Visa Application
- Your valid current passport
- Evidence of payment of application fee
- Two recent passport-sized photographs
- Your admission of letter
- Evidence of payment of at least one-year tuition fees
Read also; /study-in-new-zealand-affordable-universities-with-tuition-fees-cost-of-living-visa-information/
How to Apply for the NZ Student Visa
If you meet all the requirements, you can head to the New Zealand embassy or consulate to be guided on how to fill the application forms.
However, the best way to apply for a Study visa to New Zealand is online through the government’s immigration portal.
Applying online with all the supporting documents ensures your application is processed quickly.
How long does it take to process the visa?
If you submitted all the right documents along with your application, your are likely to get the visa approved in about 6 weeks.
So bear that in mind to make sure you initiate the process so as to get the visa in time for the beginning of the academic session.
Student Visa Fee
The cost of applying for a student visa together with other associated costs vary from region to region. You would be informed of the fees applicable to your region or country when you start the application process. But you should expect between NZ$100 to NZ$500.
Read also; cheap-universities-in-new-zealand-with-tuition-fees-and-programs-offered/
How soon can you travel?
Once your visa is approved, you can travel to New Zealand as soon as is practicable for you. You can even travel immediately of you have everything you would need in place.