I have reviewed the cheapest universities in Bulgaria for international students, tuition fees, cost of living in Bulgaria, admission requirements and deadline, and how to apply for admission.
Most Bulgarian universities require applicants to provide copies of relevant documents, which may include a certificate proving successful completion of the previous stage of education, a medical report, a valid international passport or ID, and an English language test result (if studying in English). If your first language is English and your former program was taught in English, you can be exempted if you proof it.
Also, other universities may ask you to take an exam to test your proficiency in Bulgarian or English language depending on the language you intend to study your course in. If you can’t make it in any of these proficiency exams, you may have the option to enroll in a one year preparatory course studying either Bulgarian or English.
Tuition fees are affordable and inexpensive in Bulgaria. A preparatory course in English or Bulgarian costs around €2,500 (~US$2780) per year. Tuition fees for an international student, is estimated at €2,900-8,000 per year.
Tuition fees for medical courses are higher than other courses thus, students planning to study any medical course in Bulgarian universities should expect something slightly higher than the estimate above.
If you are EU/EEA and Swiss students of all study levels, you are eligible to apply for the Bulgarian tuition fee loan, and scholarships are sometimes offered by Bulgarian universities to help international students fund their studies.
30 September is usually the deadline for applying to universities in Bulgaria in the year that precedes the intended year of study for English-taught courses, or 15 September for courses taught in Bulgarian. However, this varies from university to university.
Cost of Living
Costs of living in Bulgaria are cheap and affordable, especially when you compare with other study destinations. Your living costs, including accommodation, transport, food and other expenses, international students should budget about US$7,200 per year to take care of expenses like books, accommodation, transport, food, etc.
The above estimates depend on your spending habit and location. If you prefer to rent your room alone, this may cost more and should be at least €100 a month (~US$110).
How to Apply
International students apply directly to their chosen Bulgarian university via online platform. All Bulgarian universities require international applicants to provide copies of relevant documents, and try to apply on time to be eligible for consideration.
Below is a list of low tuition universities and colleges in Bulgaria for international students. Kindly contact them for more information on how to apply for studies as an international student.
List of Low Tuition Universities and Colleges in Bulgaria with Tuition Fees Ranging from 3,000 to 8,000 Euros per Year
- Academy of the Ministry of Interior – Sofia
- Agricultural University – Plovdiv
- American University in Bulgaria
- Bulgarian Virtual University
- Burgas Free University
- D. A. Tsenov Academy of Economics – Svishtov
- European Polytechnical University
- Higher School of Insurance and Finance
- “Lyuben Karavelov” Civil Engineering University
- Medical University – Pleven
- Medical University – Plovdiv
- Medical University – Varna
- National Academy for Theatre and Film Arts
- National Academy of Arts
- National Military University
- National Sports Academy
- New Bulgarian University
- “Nikola Vaptsarov” Naval Academy
- “Pantcho Vladigerov” National Academy of Music
- Plovdiv University
- Rakovski Defence and Staff College
- Ruse University
- Sofia Medical University
- Sofia University
- South-West University “Neofit Rilski”
- Specialized Higher School of Librarian Knowledge and Information Technology – Sofia
- Technical University of Gabrovo
- Technical University of Sofia
- Technical University of Sofia – Branch Plovdiv
- Technical University of Varna
- “Todor Kableshkov” Higher School of Transport
- Trakia University – Stara Zagora
- University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy
- University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy
- University of Economics Varna
- University of Food Technology
- University of Forestry
- University of Mining and Geology
- University of National and World Economy
- University of Shumen “Episkop Konstantin Preslavski”
- University “Prof. Asen Zlatarov” – Burgas
- Varna Free University
- Varna University of Management
- Veliko Tarnovo University