Students in Hungary are ranked based on their ability to meet specific program requirements. This ranking can take into consideration the student’s grade point average from previous studies and even work experience if applying for specific programs that require it. Therefore, always check with your university/colleges in Hungary about the minimum passing grade you need to meet.
Undergraduate Entry Requirements/First Cycle Studies (Bachelor’s)
- High School/Secondary School result/certificate translated into Hungarian or English with the corresponding transcript of courses and grades
Postgraduate Entry Requirements/Second Cycle Studies (master’s)
- A relevant Bachelor’s or equivalent degree diploma
Doctorate Entry Requirements/Third Cycle Studies (PhD)
- A relevant diploma or master’s degree program
Language Requirements for Studies at Universities in Hungary
- If your course will be in the Hungarian language, you will need to provide test results showing proof of your proficiency in the Hungarian language
If you are a student that will be taking up studies in English language, you will be requested to prove your level of command of the English language. Consequently, you may present the results obtained at internationally recognized examinations, like the TOEFL test, IELTS test or pass an exam at the Hungarian institution where you will be studying.
For EU students, you may also ask your institution to examine your English studies from upper high school/secondary school to learn whether they are sufficient for you to meet the language requirement. Students from English speaking countries who have received their upper secondary education in English are sometimes exempted from passing any English language examination.
For English language, these test results are accepted
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency Grade C
- Cambridge Advanced Certificate Grade B and TEEP
- Between 5.0 – 6.0 in IELTS test or between 60 and 80 in TOEFL test for bachelor’s diploma
- Between 5.5 and 6.5 in IELTS or between 70 and 90 in TOEFL test for master’s diploma
For education programs offered in other languages – E.g. German – there will be certain requirements for your German skills.
N/B; Entrance examinations, offered at stipulated locations all over the world, may be required for some courses. You will need to check this out with the university you wish to attend.
For students that have not taken or passed the university entrance examination in their home country (non EU student only) you will most probably need to enroll in a preparatory course at the institution you are interested in before applying for higher education studies.
The preparatory courses aim at providing students with the required level of knowledge in basic subjects to access the selected study program. These preparatory courses last at most 2 semesters and students are charged tuition fees that vary depending on the program and institution.
How to Apply
You can only apply to universities in Hungary via the UCAS.
- Szeged University
- Universities in Hungary
- Attila Jozsef University
- Avicenna International College
- Budapest University of Economic Sciences
- Central European University
- Debrecen University of Agricultural Sciences
- Hungarian Academy of Craft and Design
- Kossuth Lajos University
- Mathematical Institute of Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- University Medical School of Debrecen
- University of Pecs
- University of West Hungary
- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi Medical University
- Attila Jozsef University
- Bessenyei Gyorgy Teachers Training College
- Eotvos Lorand University of Sciences
- Gvdvllu University of Agricultural Sciences
- Janus Pannonius University of Sciences
- Juhasz Gyula Teacher Training College
- Lajos Kossuth University of Arts and Sciences
- Semmelweis University of Medical Sciences
- Technical University of Budapest, Hungary
- University of Miskolc, Hungary