It is no longer news that during interviews, one may face some unfamiliar questions, today, I have decided to share with you some of those job interview questions with answers. With this, you will be able to face the interviewer with boldness. All you need do is sit tight and read on!
Possible Questions to Expect During a Job Interview and How to Tactically Answer Them
- May I Know Your Name?
This is a good opportunity to make an impression of your quality – introduce yourself.
- Why did you apply for this job?
Tell him that you apply for a job in his company because theirs is a world class company that offers world class product and services and it is also a company that promotes the interest of their employees and there is also room for employees to grow, expand their skills and hence, contribute to the organization’s corporate goal.
- What Do You Know About Our Company?
Tell him about the company’s history, structure, products or services, directors, managers, branches, slogan and corporate mission.
- What makes you think you are the person for the job?
Well I don’t know other candidates but I know I am well equipped in terms of skills and experience to contribute positively to your company’s success.
- Tell Us Why We Should Employ You?
Talk about your skill, abilities and experience that will be useful in the job. Tell them you can work either in groups or alone. A high flyer is one that can work alone. A team player is one that can co-operate with others in a group to achieve results.
- Why did you leave your former job?
Tell him you left your previous job because there was reorganization or downsizing or that it was just a contract job etc.
- What are your achievements?
Mention awards, researches, inventions, leadership positions etc.
- How would you describe your former boss?
Never criticize your former boss, just mention his positive sides.
- Where do you hope to be in the next ten years?
I hope to be in this company contributing to its success. I have strong desire to be here and I will stay for as long as my services are needed here.
- How would your ex-boss describe you?
I am sure my ex-boss would describe me as somebody that is hardworking, honest, dependable, efficient etc. Think of skills and abilities that are relevant to the job being applied for.
- What is your greatest strength?
Highlight a strong attribute and give examples like your ability to work under pressure or your high flying ability
- What is greatest weakness?
Tell him that you don’t have weakness but some skills you need to improve upon. Give examples of skills that you like to improve upon.
- How much can we pay you?
Well sir your company is a reputable firm that is also known to pay her staff well. I know the company has a standard salary scale and so I hope to be paid an amount that will commensurate with my qualifications, my skills, experience and efforts I put into your firm. Never quote any figure.
- Can you share your experiences with us?
Enumerate the previous experiences you had in other jobs that may be related to the present job being applied for. If you don’t have any experience, search out for skills and knowledge of other people and give instances where you have worked with people to achieve results.
- Do you have any hobbies?
Take a look at the job you are applying for and make sure you enumerate hobbies that are relevant to the job.
- How would your ex-colleagues describe you?
My former colleagues will describe me as a team player, dependable, honest and trustworthy.
- How would you describe your former colleagues?
Do the same as above?
- What did you like most about your former job?
Describe things you did in your last job that would be beneficial to the present job.
- How healthy are you?
Tell him that apart from malaria, cold and catarrh which you occasionally suffer, you have no serious ailment which may interfere with your work. If you have any serious ailment, tell him steps you have taken to take care of it so that it will not interfere with your job.
- Did you have intention of going back to school?
Well I have no immediate desire to go back to school but I may in the future go back to school depending on the intellectual demands of my job, hopefully in a bid to enhance my productivity. But even in that case, I would prefer to go for an evening/night programmes as I would not want any working hours to be interfered with.
- Describe yourself in five words?
Use positive and action words like I am energetic, hardworking, efficient, honest and charming.
- What do you look for in a company?
A place where I will be availed of the opportunity to express myself, contribute my skills and abilities in a bid to add value to the company’s operations.
- Can you work under pressure?
Say yes and give instances where you achieved results under pressure.
- How effective can you work in a group
He wants to know if you are a good team player. Tell him that you enjoy working with other people and give instances where you have worked with people to achieve results.
- Can you work alone effectively?
He wants to know if you are a high-flyer. Tell him ‘yes’ and list instances where you have operated alone and still came up with good results.
- When you entered this compound, what did you see?
The interviewer wants to know if you are an observant person. Tell him the positive things that you have come across.
- Tell me challenges in our industry?
He wants to know if you have been following the trend in the industry. Be not caught unawares.
- How do you catch your fun?
I hope you won’t tell him that you catch your fun by clubbing. He wants to know how you relax. Tell him the positive ways you relax.
- What is the most important thing you have learnt in Life?
Tell him a critical and important virtue that you have learnt that guides your relationship in life.
- When you disagree with your boss’ idea, what do you do?
If it is not illegal and ethics of the profession, I will have to first obey him.
- Should a leader be respected or feared?
I think a leader should be admired, loved and respected by his followers.
- What is the most difficult decision you have taken in life?
Tell him an instance that you have to take a painful decision but which was in the overall of you and other parties.
- Do you believe in impossibilities?
Impossible is a word that does not exist in my dictionary. Tell him that something does not seem to have a solution today does not mean that there won’t be any tomorrow.
- Who is your role model?
He wants to know the kind of people that you look up to.
- What is your greatest failure?
Tell him a mistake you made in life and how you handled it and became a much better and strong person as a result of that incident.
- What do you hate in most people?
Tell him that you dislike critical and lazy people.
- What do you fear most?
Don’t say death or public speaking. Better say you are afraid of managing success.
- What is your guiding principle?
Tell him what your principle in life, doing to others as would have them do unto you.
- How long do you think it will take you to adjust to our systems?
Tell that you are a very dynamic person who learns very fast too. Tell that the adventure in you will make you fit in fast into their system.
- If you suddenly become rich, what would you do?
He wants to know how prudent you can be. Tell him that you will invest the money wisely through the guidance of investment experts.
- If you are in a situation where your team member is not measuring up, what will you do?
I will show patience with him and the situation and gradually put him through so that he can also sharpen his knowledge and skills.
- If I contacted your ex-boss what negative thing do you think he will say about you?
Tell him that my ex-boss will say that I have slow typing speed but I have long taken care of that as a result of extra practice and training.
- What kind of books do you read?
He wants to know the kind of books that you read.
- Can you tell me your style of work?
Tell him that you work as a very meticulous person, paying attention to the slightest details.
- What attracts you to our company?
Tell him that the company’s good reputation and public image attracted you.
- What can you do for us that others can’t?
Tell him that you don’t really know others, but you have faith in your skills and abilities to contribute immensely to their company’s operations.
- What do you think about unions?
Tell him that unions are set up to be one another’s keeper, however, when the union start using their strength to attack a company, then it has become negative and must not be encouraged.
- What are your career goals?
Make sure that the career goals you tell him are in line with the one stated on your Resume.
- What did you like about your last job?
Mention things that you liked that may have bearing with the one you are seeking.
50. How much should we pay you?
You don’t need to mention any amount, tell them to pay you according to their salary structure for the position you are applying for; if they insist you must mention amount, you have to do your industry research about how much to expect for such position according to the company’s capacity.